2013-11-30

Life as an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in NTU

This post is supposed to be written in May when I have just finished everything related to EEE course. LOL, lazy + no time to write.

On this day, 14th May at 11.30am, after I had ended my FYP presentation at LT23, I could finally let go of myself and said '終於完了'... Like any other uni course, it wasn't an easy route for me - have to put in lots of hardwork and efforts and reap the fruit of the labour. However, as with all things, you have to give and take in order to achieve what you really wanted. More on this later.

As the saying goes 「人生如戲,戲如人生」, rewinding the tape brings back year 2009, not long after I ORDed in Dec 2008. I still remembered having to 'work' night shifts or rather just general 'working' for the past 1.5 years, suddenly ORD just like that, was a 解脫 yet a bit lost coz I'm too used to the routine life liao. 整個人生霎時平靜下來了,因為接下來的都是要靠自己,朋友不會在身邊了。不會有人跟你站一起聊天,也不會有人時不時來kajiao你了,精彩會少一點,sian會加多一點。On the other hand, everybody's mindset was after NS is to continue study in university. The only problem was that the break was far too long - 8 months!

So for the first half of 2009, I went to work part-time. Life wasn't too bad actually: keeping myself occupied yet can earn some pocket money while waiting to start school in NTU. Having very satisfied with part-time life, I didn't go to the freshmen orientation camp (FOC). Kinda regret coz realised it's very hard to get into a clique, but then again, I've tried to become even more independent than I thought I was in NS liao.

Pre-matriculation
The first thing was medical checkup at NTU. This was the first time I visited my future school. I didn't familiarise myself well with NTU campus beforehand, so I alighted 179 at LWN library instead of Innovation Centre. LOL, but at least I walked with the crowd and so coincidentally I arrived at South Spine liao. Haha... The medical checkup consisted of two parts, first was taken at the medical centre (urine test etc.) and the second was at the mobile car below it (take X-ray).

Having mentioned FOC, which I didn't attend, another thing was to formally register myself as a student under the course Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I had to choose a network account ID out of the three choices available, back then NTU had some weird algorithms to generate the ID according to one's surname and name initials, which made the whole ID not easy to remember. In the end, I chose something made up of numbers which IMO, were easier to remember than alphabets. Haha...

Then it's the photo. NTU required me to submit one passport-sized photo online. But I don't have photo nor scanner, so I just took one with the Sony Ericsson C905 (back then it was crowned as the king of the cameraphone) in my bedroom. LOL~ And it worked!

Last was concession card and matriculation card. Both were easy to settle, applied for concession card at Lakeside MRT station in July. and they were collected in NTU campus, quite convenient.


Year 1
Year 1 Semester 1
School started officially on 10 Aug, course materials were uploaded to the famous EdveNTUre portal before this date and I already started doing first 3 maths tutorials a week before, 'cause nothing to do. =.= They were not difficult, in fact very similar to A level C+F maths kinda standard.

Felt rather strange on first few days in school. The very first thing I felt was no need to wear uniform liao, compared to uniform system in JC. Teaching styles were same. Secondly, NTU seemed more crowded than JC, in fact it was! Practically, went straight home if nothing on for that day, rather than spending some time exploring NTU. 此地不宜久留 lol...

Year 1 syllabus was same for EEE, CEE, ENE and ME. As the group was too big, they splitted us into group A and B. I was in group A and YZ, Ann Eng those in ME was in group B though.

Timetable for year 1 were pre-allocated, so no need to fastest fingers (STAR war), but free to add/drop any module though. So here are the modules taken in this semester:

FE1002 Physics II
This module covered basic materials for an EEE student, those electric/magnetic concepts, quantum, optics bla bla bla, which I felt not very applicable to CEE, ENE and ME students lor. They were rather useful - I had to refer to these notes even when I in year 3 or final year. They were not very difficult, but just calculation intensive, lots of integrations and trigo formulas liao. The first paper I took was this subject at SRC. Didn't know the air-con was super cold and I was shivering while doing the paper. What an experience!

FE1003 Chemistry
I thought I no longer need to study for chem for the entire of my life after A levels. But to my horror, it was back haunting me again. I was really bad at this subject and now they made it compulsory for an EEE student like me. T.T I did tried to study for this subject, but ended up getting B only. Those JC students who got A and B for their A levels probably would be laughing their way till exam and still getting A+/A/A- lor.

FE1006 Mathematics I
My favourite subject! Literally it's like F maths revision to me with some additional new concepts, so definitely was a big big advantage compared to most of the cohort liao. Only guys with F maths (already small number) would probably benefit from it, girls may have a hard time, even with their graphic calculators, coz not much graph plotting. Still remember I did quite fast for this paper and there was this question asking about proving a three dimensional vector will have no sth sth. I used an example to prove it. Passed this with flying colours though I didn't study for it!

FE1008 Computing
This is a totally new module to me. Basically I had to learn a machine-level (C/C++) language which I thought it's more difficult than human-level language. But I can't do the CA and barely make it at exam with an average grade.

FE1071 Laboratory 1A
Had to do experiements related to all engineering disciplines, from EEE to ME. Usually 3 hours long, but occasionally can leave earlier ^^ The sad thing is it's worth only 1 AU. :(

HE191 Principles of Economics
Another new module and it had one of the largest cohort in NTU as lessons were conducted in LKC-LT. Can imagine how big it was! Learnt the supply-demand curve, the rest all forgot liao. LOL! Again, some peeps from JC already studied econs before, so this module was no-kick to them.

HW110 Effective Communication
This module taught me how to speak/write confidently and effectively. Assignments include giving a speech, designing a brochure and an essay.

Year 1 Semester 2
FE1001 Physics I
Kinematics, thermodynamics, angular motion, energy all the physics concepts need by ME. This one really took most of my time of this semester, all because for the extra 10% marks awarded, got something extra called webassign. Every weekend stayed at home and kept doing the physics questions. T.T Come exams, remembered it was an open-book exam, but I could only do 2+ questions only. In the end got A, meaning everybody died together in this module.

FE1005 Materials Science
Compared to the one taken by Group B in sem 1 conducted by MSE, now changed to MAE staff to teach. Heard from YZ that this sem's one was more 'difficult' as the exam has one extra question. Didn't really pay much attention to this module. Got A- for CA when I see half of the class getting A. Towards exam, locked myself up in my bedroom to brute memorise the contents, then vomitted everything out in exam. In the end A for this.

FE1007 Mathematics 2
Upgraded version of Maths 1. Double triple integration, partial differentiation these kind of stuffs. Don't know what I did during exam, got B only.

FE1072
Same as FE1071

BS1004
Another useless module I took. Had no bio background and crash to study this was a torture. T.T

HMJ1 Japanese Language Level 1
Initially tot can no need to spend extra $$ to study foreign language is tan tio. But after this module I told myself not to take up any language anymore. Firstly, already disadvantaged by people already know Japanese beforehand. Secondly, Japanese is totally different from Chinese and the grammar rules are super confusing. For once, I feel Chinese is easier haha as it is more straightforward - you don't have to memorise terms from day 1 to at least day 10 for the month and also memorise 'pun' or 'fun' for minute. But writing and pronouniciation Chinese is harder though.

The syllabus also leave no spare room for slow learner. NTU expects people know how to listen Japanese speech at such fast speed, especially at listening test/exercise when we are just level 1, not level 5 or 6 leh. Speak slower won't die ba? Should have S/Ued this subject. A bit regret now.

EE8086 Astronomy - Stars, Galaxies And Cosmology
The topics are fun and the 3-hour lecture was divided into 2 parts. First part was normal lectures while second part was watch video clips. Sometimes I ponned the second part and went home early haha! But come to CA and exam... I didn't really do well. Only conclusion, I'm weak at MCQs.

Year 1 special semester 2
Special semester 2 was conducted from June to July. Altogether 10 lessons in 5 weeks and it's not free. $500 for one module which is not cheap, that's why no A/A+ a bit wasted. Still remembered

MB101 Accounting: A User Perspective
Different from other modules, this module was entirely conducted in a seminar room. Teacher was from outside one and for the first time textbook was REALLY required. Everybody had to go up and present their assigned tutorial questions once. So coincident I'm the last presenter and I'm the only one to be required to go up 2nd time to explain to everybody about my concept. On several times, I also corrected the mistakes other people made. Haha, felt happy about it hehe. But exam didn't do as well as during normal times. Sad...


Year 2
Worked in Keppel during the 4-month long vacation. Reason being NTU was selected as one of the YOG site for accomodation I think, so we have to start 2 weeks later. During this 4-month vacation, I really did enjoy myself well and to recharge myself for the upcoming year.

Year 2 Semester 1
EE2001 Circuit Analysis
Though it looks simple, but V = IR is not enough to do the calculations here. A lot of times the circuit is more complicated and questions like to ask time-based questions. So have to use laplace transform to solve it, so much easier! On top of that, the KCL and KVL are two very basic but very powerful concepts to solve the complicated questions. Still use it in year 4. Then still remembered I was very confident on question 3 in the exam, finished the paper feeling quite satisfied though question 1 and 2 were really killer. Until left the last 5 mins when I double-checked the paper again then realised that I forgot to draw out part of the circuit on answer booklet as I didn't see it. But then I couldn't erase/cancel and redo everything so I left it as it is. In the end gotten a B+.

EE2004 Digital Electronics
I actually quite like this module as the stuff that I learnt was interesting. Perhaps lecturer played a part too. The lecturer for the first part - Prof Goh Wang Ling - sometimes went high after side-tracking a bit. As everybody is new to electronics, basic theories and concepts such as Boolean algebra were taught in this module, so it made the learning rather enjoyable. LOL... Exam wise, the questions were creatively set, but not too difficult, which pretty sums up the pleasant experience for this module.

EE2006 Engineering Mathematics I
One of my favourite modules! Maths! But level 2 is much more harder than level 1 where fourier/laplace transform, partial differential equations being the ultimate killer for most of cohort. Even for me, I find PDE really something quite challenging. Statistics wise, it was managable as I learnt most of them in A level already, while numerical analysis totally new for me, but it was easy too. A+ for this module.

EE2008 Data Structures & Algorithms
Thought this module is 100% about programming, but it's only 50% about programming. Instead of learning how to write the program, concepts as to how data mining is carried out were taught. The only constraint is time, so to save time spent on searching the desired data, certain algorithms are fit for a particular application, while others are suitable for another application to maximise the efficiency. In exams, only require to write pseudo-codes out, no need formal programming language. Compared to EE1008, I did significantly better in this module because I put in more effort to it - did all tutorial questions and attended every tutorial.

EE2071 Laboratory 2A
This is not level 2 version of EE1071 as all lab sessions were EEE related and they ranged from power to electronics to programming. Report writing was based on L212 Two-port Network Parameters and Transient Response. 31 pages long. Simple exercise, but lots of measurements and off-site calculations. I was very pissed off with my lab partner for this sem - he was all the time blur, didn't do most of the work, didn't know how to use breadboard at the end of the sem, wore slippers, late, etc... How to work with a person like that?!

HW210 Technical Communication
The main objective of this module was to learn how to write a good engineering report, not so much about presenting oneself in front of a group of audience.

HG803 Technologically Speaking: The Intersection of Language & Tehcnology
Chose this elective as I thought it's similar to EE2008. Indeed some of the stuff within were exactly the same as EE2008, but this module focus more on the language structure. But I felt it's neither programming nor pure language analysis, making me hanging in the air after learning - don't know what was I learning about. But the take-home message is that due to the different language sentence structures, it's impossible to achieve 100% perfect translation by machine. First time I exercise S/U option.

MP4F02 Manufacturing Systems and Automation
This module was intended for ME students to take for their final year as a technical elective. At the same time, it was offered as unrestricted elective too. Took it as I had some interests with it. The first part was about prototyping, aka 3D printing. The prof, Prof Chua Chee Kai whom I think is quite famous now as 3D printing now really caught world's attention, taught this part and there was a trip to visit those huge 3D printing machine. There is one of them looked very similar to the good old inkjet printer! The second part was ok, but not as interesting as the first one. Also S/Ued this.

Year 2 Semester 2
EE2002 Analog Electronics
This is most likely the killer year 2 module for all students. Just the look at the lecture notes, formulas and diagrams all over the page, some even squeezed into the slide, see liao also *eye-roll*. Studied about BJT and MOSFET. Basically these 2 devices are enough to make our mind confused. It's not only on/off that simple, but also different regions of operations. The analysis is not very difficult, but the almost infinite combination and configuration of devices in the circuit and the forever long calculations were enough to scare people away. Still remembered Yong Rui didn't calculate the numerical answers but instead wrote down all the steps in algebra and still manage an A-. That's the power of bell-curve moderation liao.

EE2003 Semiconductor Fundamentals
Quite content intensive for a starter module. Prof Ng Beng Koon spoke really fast at bullet speed while we were trying hard to catch what he's saying, afterall the contents were new to us. Calculations were much simpler but theory-wise it's difficult to understand sometimes, especially the energy-level diagram. During exam, the paper didn't provide the bandgap voltage of silicon and caused a bit of uproar amongst us. In the end, I only provided qualitative analysis because I didn't have the necessary number to work on. After that, heard that the bandgap voltage of silicon was something that we were EXPECTED to know.

EE2005 AC Circuits & Machines
This module is light and kinda complement the heavy content of EE2002. Learnt 3-phase, AC motors and transformers. I'm lousy at the 3-phase thingy. For exam, knew how to do all questions except for question 3 where transformer was asked. I thought I knew, but I realised it's not I expected.

EE2007 Engineering Mathematics II
Again, this is another favourite module and it's the last maths module I took for the whole uni course. It had some of the more abstract topics such as linear algebra, complex number analysis and vector calculus which is quite matrix related. However, a little careless mistake I had didn't get me the A+ I wanted. Result still good though. Also, the exam paper fell on the voting day and the examination officer announced that candidates could take the shuttle bus to major MRT stations around Singapore to make it in time to cast their vote during 2011 Singapore General Election.

EE2010 Signals & Systems
This module wasn't difficult, but the hardest part lies with anything related to fourier transform. Afterall, EEE engineers are interested in the frequency spectrum rather than the time one. Guessed maybe Prof Ma Kai Kuang didn't like students kept talking during his lectures then during exams, he chut stunt - the questions from him were so difficult. One of them needs to prove the pulse train using fourier transform (people already struggling with fourier transform) then last question was somewhat funny but was actually do-able if one could understand the question. Everybody ‘中招’ and was cursing and swearing lol... It's deal or break for the 2 questions. If can do, A+ wasn't a problem. If can do 1 question I think A/A- wasn't a problem liao. I didn't manage to finish the last question...

EE2072 Laboratory 2B
Same as EE2071. This sem's lab partner was so much better than last sem one. Ohh~ What a relief! Report was on L226 Semiconductor Parameter Measurements.

EE2079 Design & Innovation Project
Formed up a team with Yuan Sheng's poly mates - I'm the only JC ppl there. Back in sem 1, we first looked for Prof So Ping Lam but got rejected. We then find Prof Choo Fook Hoong instead and he agreed to take us in. Both of them happened to be the sem's EE2005 lecturers. Then somehow, the prof wanted us to be involved a project which was to convertHowever, The project involved modifying a electric 4-wheeler bike into something that requires the physical input from the rider and takes power from solar panels. Programming with the LCD really was no joke IMO, perhaps I wasn't naturally inclined to do programming in first place. Nonetheless, I must really respect the dedication and profession they put into the project and realised how left out I was when comes to hands-on. This is one major disadvantage of the JC education.


Year 3
Year 2 was really an exciting year and for the first time I went out with Nicholas to study together for exam. That's when my results started to improve bit by bit. Now the GPA would've been 4.49, 0.01 short of 4.50! Argh... Since I'm already here, might as well work for first class... 已經無回頭路了…… So the moment school started, I put in all effort I can to get better result.

Year 3 Semester 1
EE3001 Engineering Electromagnetics
This module has the most number of formulas I guessed. On top of that, need to visualise in 3D. Worst of all, most of the calculations involved complex numbers and there was integration in 3D! Imagine taking square root of a complex number. Luckily I bought the fx-991ES calculator in year 1 which can do complex numbers at ease. Smith chart is a genius invention and a powerful tool to calculate the transmission. Happy that I got A+, guessed I scored full marks for it. Hehe^^

EE3002 Microprocessors
Easiest module of all and because it was simple, it was hardest to get A/A+ - everybody could do the exam paper and passed with flying colours. Exam questions didn't change much, so it's predictable during my turn. So a little careless mistake will drop to A- or below. The programming was somewhat easier than I thought and we learnt other stuff example timing issues, memory addressing etc. Towards the end, Prof Chan was really humorous which liven up the mood to learn lol...

EE3003 Integrated Electronics
Another killer module, but IMO, I don't think it's so much more difficult than EE2002. Actually, I find it a little bit easier to digest the information. Once understand, they don't pose an issue during exam liao. I thought Prof Yvonne Lam taught quite well, at least she can relate the concepts to something else which we can understand easily. Prof Zhang Yue Ping's part even easier! Got attend his last lecture he would have given some tips, totally spot-on! LOL~ Spent most effort in this module, but in the end only got A. Those pros are really pros.

EE3012 Communication Principles
3 lecturers taught this module and I don't find it difficult, maybe need a bit of time to understand. And through this module began to realise that I kind of like communication modules - I could understand the analog and digital ways to communicate well! From analog to digital communications to sampling theories to modulation schemes, at least they were not so hard as pure electronic modules. Forgot to bring watch into exam hall and I was very far behind from the exam hall front where the clock was located (Hall A). So I did the exam paper real fast, probably finished it in about slightly more than an hour LOL~ Lots of time to recheck the answers. I guessed I scored full marks(?) for this paper? LOL...

EE3013 Semiconductor Devices & Processing
This was essentially a revision of EE2003 with the second part introducing the fabrication process, those etching, deposition, lithography technologies. Prof Tay Beng Kang was kind enough to give out the tutorial solutions to aid in the revision. Also did quite fast in exams lol...

EE3071 Laboratory 3
Same as EE2071/EE2072. Report was on the topic L312 Analog Circuit Design which was really easy. No need to hands-on but rather draw out the circuits on the computer and ran simulations. Got the results and put them in the report.

EE3072 Project
Really don't like this module because it's all programming! Ranged from JAVA to hardcode machine programming. And it's via this module I got to notice this guy called Kang Yang who was expert in those programming. He was big-sized so it was quite noticeable and everytime he left class really early caught my attention - how come he so skilled at programming... and studies... he had been on dean's list every year! Didn't did well for it but at least had some exposure to what's programming like.

HC8005 Directed Readings of Modern Chinese Song Lyrics
Although it's UE and I S/Ued it, I really liked Prof 梁文福's lesson. This is the only module which I didn't stray myself outside classroom while at lesson - I paid full 100% attention to 梁文福. Afterall, I find him a bit familiar because I took up the O-level Chinese oral preparation classes which was conducted by his wife at the tuition centre co-managed by him and his wife! So I saw him before actually... I was amazed how 梁文福 analysed the lyrics and give them a totally new meaning! From those concise text can 延伸出那麼多的意思與領悟,實在厲害!Halfway thru the semester, I began to record the lesson down for Bay, 順便為自己收藏起來…… Because I S/U-ed it, Bay thought I could have scored at least A to help in my GPA, given that I was totally glued to the lecturer during lessons... 算了吧,S/U終究都是比較保守的選擇。

Year 3 Semester 2
This semester saw me working at ExxonMobil as Intern. Went to their Pioneer site for interview where I used to do my duties there. 回憶啊~ I liked its working culture, but too bad wasn't lucky enough to be invited to join their family. Actually I kinda looking forward to working... Hehe


Year 4
This was an important and busiest year of all! Because I need to work on FYP which stretched for 2 semesters long. On top of that, I still got my first ICT ever in December to go for. Well, looks like didn't have time for enjoyment le. At least the last few days of 2012 still got a bit of time to slack a bit and went celebrate countdown with friends on 31 December. Maybe they were sian with it liao, this time round with different people?

Year 4 Semester 1
EE4041 Human Resource Management
This one, I, together with the rest, really disliked it. Found the tutor (happened to be the lecturer) a bit fake. On surface he said I presented the slides well, but when results came out, I only got B. I didn't perform so badly during exams leh as I did studied for it and could do those questions. 會的都會,不會的大家也是不會啊…… So the only thing that could pull the grade down was the presentation. On top of that, the rule said everyone must turned up for tutorial in business suit, whether or not they were presenting for that day. Really sian. But I was quite surprised that Max did so well for this module.

EE4303 Mixed-Signal IC Design
This module only 2 AU and is mostly involved hands-on stuff. Everyone had to pair up and do the exercises and the project (used as assessment as 1 AU, the examination is worth another 1 AU). Exam wise, only 1 question worth 100 marks. But each sub-question could worth from 20 to 40 marks and they were somewhat easier than those core modules. The very last question only ask for qualitative answer, I went on to do the numerical calculations. Only then realised I was stuck halfway. After the exam, then I knew how to do it, it was so simple. 有時候教授要的東西是很簡單的,我們學生卻複雜化……

EE4341 Advanced Analog Circuits
This was the upgraded version of EE2002/EE3003! Was the very first lesson for this semester and I was late 'coz I couldn't locate where was TR103?! I thought it was at NBS level 1 there but was wrong. Went up and down, rushed here and there and was late for the lesson for about 10 mins. And the moment I sitted down panting, the lecturer Prof Ng Lian Soon already gone into the topic and start introducing new fomulas for the low-pass filter when the rest probably still giving introductory speeches! Aiyoyoyo... Mind blocked during exam so didn't do well despite spending the most effort for it.

EE4648 Flat Panel Display Technologies
Another module I took for own interests. Got ang moh lecturer! Finally understood how LCD, OLED, plasma displays work. But exam wise, I don't why I got the grade when I felt I did quite well for it leh?

ES8001 Natural Hazards, Climate Change, and Society
This is an UE, which taught by all ang mohs, took away a lot of our time as if we had only this module for the whole sem! One week one 3-hour lesson. Each lesson splitted into 3 one-hour lessons. There was a quiz before and after each lesson and they all counted towards the CA! Each week already done 6 quizzes liao. Had to read the extra materials and videos posted on edveNTUre to prepare for it. Still remembered I woke up at 6.30 am just to digest the information before the quiz on that day T.T Maybe this was the American style of education they were talking about - students have to constantly and vigorously do their revision and tests kept coming out every now and then. A lot of contents too!

HW0310 Professional Communication
Splitted into 2 parts - resume/cover letter writing and oral presentation. Topic I did was on Taobao/Alibaba. I didn't blame Chun Xu for using vulgarities every now and then when the other 2 teammates not around. Really, I was too very fed up with that girl and guy - 不是遲來早退,就是懶惰,什麼鬼都沒做就上陣去present. Saturday supposed to meet up and do the slides and rehearse for the real thing. Me and Chun Xu already sacrifice the previous time to come down to NTU, especially Chun Xu when he lives at Yishun. Instead counting themselves lucky to stay in halls, they both were late and the guy said he needed to leave early! #^%&*(!$ 真的啞口無言去…… 遇到這樣的隊友不氣到爆炸才怪!I really followed the tutor's advice and included the pointers when I do my resume now. But somehow, luck wasn't on my side when I'm looking for job now.

Year 4 Semester 2
EE4040 Engineers and Society
On surface it's call ENS, but I think this is a history lesson which we engineering students had trauma. This is also the only module which local students definitely had a big advantage over those foreigners! Because the modules introduced Singapore history, from Raffles founded Singapore to British governance to self-governance to independance. Didn't do well for report (did well for my part though) and got to redo and couldn't get at least A-. :( The guy lecturer was very fussy about our work and pointers. We were not majoring history why torturing us with that high standard?! T.T At least Jessica Ng was better. Tiagong the guy was strict with report but lenient with presentation but Jessica Ng was the other way round. But the engineering ethics I thought it would be quite beneficial when we started working ba. Exam got to write long essays for the guy lecturer's part, but for Jessica Ng's part it was managable.


EE4079 Final Year Project
Project was 'Digitally Assisted Low Dropout Linear Voltage Regulator'. Way before I start my FYP, Prof Siek already asked me if I want to do FYP which I was reluctant. Learnt almost everything myself, including the software Cadence. The project itself was ok, but frustrations always came when my simulations result didn't come out the way I want. Also a lot of times when I did nothing at the lab. Slowly, the lab became my venue for revision. Often stayed until 11-12 pm then go home feeling tired, sometimes having instant mee as dinner at late as 1 am! And so coincident that Prof Ng chosen this project as the examiner. 其實我還蠻怕他的,因為他腦筋轉很快,怕回答不到他的問題…… Max got scolded by Prof Ng during the project demostration but I felt it was ok, maybe preferential treatment? The finale oral presentation was held at LT23, I gave the first and last presentation at a LT with Prof Siek, Prof Ng and Jeremy as the audience! Felt like I was a lecturer lol. Luckily the effort put in wasn't wasted :)

EE4188 Wireless Communications
Took this as for interest as I felt I had a flair to study communication module. LOL... Didn't know Prof Soong Boon Hee was somehwat a relative of sec sch classmate Mie Lin?! Prof Peter Chong taught cellular systems which included frequency reuse concept, interference, cell splitting etc. And they had a lot more calculations! But got to admit, I did a bit wrong for his part. Thanks to EE4304, EE4341, I understand what does the gain in dB actually meant which helped me a bit in one of the exam questions. Gotten the only A for this sem - realised that a lot of people only chiong their FYP in final sem, causing less time to study for core modules. No wonder my sem 2 result was better than sem 1 lo.

EE4304 Radio Frequency Integrated System Design
This is a totally RF design module and I had no idea what I was doing at that point of time. I just merely follow what others were doing. Even the simulations did not make much sense to me. This was first time Prof Zhang Yue Ping taught this module, so had no idea how he will set the exam question. But luckily the exam was open-book and I happened to notice that the question styles didn't change much over the years, so I made solutions on my own and brought it together with PYPs and lecture notes into exam hall to 博一博. Indeed,

EE4344 Analysis & Design of Integrated Circuits
Although the stuff learnt here were more or less learnt before in year 2/3, but the exam paper was most epic ever. For the first time I felt so unconfident about it, almost every question I couldn't finish it or anyhow do. Maybe it's the last paper, already no mood in taking the exam liao, haha! The question that asked about input resistance and output resistance was really difficult and I wondered who would have gotten the answer right. Wouldn't be surprised if Kang Yang or Mei Lei got it though. Luckily this I still got B+, maybe all of us didn't really do well for it ba.

EE4839 Fibre Optic Communications
First half taught by Korean lecturer Prof Yoo Seung Woo. Chatted with him even before first lesson, found him quite friendly wor. Scared to leak some Korean words out later found out by him I got learnt Korean lol... Overall, it was an enjoyable module. The pace was ok actually but the exam was epic! First time taking exam on top of the medical centre. Still remembered that we tried to bargain/hint to include more calculation questions than theory types before the exam. So both lecturers set the questions until each and every question required calculations after explaining the theories/concepts. It was so vigorous, tedious and tough until all of us couldn't finish the paper!!! But the result turned out quite well, heehee~

26 comments:

guifang said...

Hi!
May I know what is the format for HC8005 Reading for chinese songs exam and the CA?

Raghu said...

Great Blog,Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope to will share some more information about Electrical Hazard Analysis. Please visit our website Electrical Hazard Analysis

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for putting the effort to write such an insightful blog for NTU EEE students.

Olivia Crew said...

I am Olivia Crew, SEO Expert in a reputed company livewebtutors. you are providing very informative and knowledgeable article so thank you for sharing with us. such a nice article.
my assignment help

UK Dissertation Help said...

I loved the post, keep posting interesting posts. I will be a regular reader…
I am offering Dissertation help to students in UK at low price.

Andy Wilson said...

We offer help to students from Australia who asking for do assignment for me. Student Assignment help has the best Writers who provide 100% plagiarism free writing assignments within the given deadline. Visit homepage.

Robin said...

That's a great post. Many students would love to check isbm university for higher education

mba
bcom
bachelor of law

llb academic

post graduate diploma in computer application

blib
ba full forrm

William smith said...

No time to write your computer networks assignment help? Finding tough to get exact meaning of the topic? No worries, we are there to help you. At myassignmenthelp, you can receive the best assignment writing service of any topic related to computer networking. We provide quality and plagiarism – free work at a very affordable price. Get your computer networks assignment help now.

belly sons said...

i-LEND is an online marketplace connecting borrowers and lenders for loans. Although i-LEND verifies credentials of registered users on the site, it does not guarantee any loan offers by lenders nor does it guarantee any repayments by borrowers. Users make offers/loan requests at their own discretion with the understanding of the risks involved in such transactions including loss of entire capital and/or no guarantee of recovery. Please read our Legal agreements to understand more. Read more- online money

William smith said...

Get Top Quality MYOB Assignment Help by Experts. Urgent Homework provides plagiarism-free Homework Help services at an affordable price.Our team is active 24x7, and you can talk directly to our experts any time you want. Visit our website for more detailed information.

david martin said...

I have got enough information from your blog and I appreciate your way of writing. If You are Looking For Mathematics Assignment Help Online? Visit Our Website Needassignmenthelp.Com And Get The Best Assignment Writing Services Within Your Budget.

William smith said...

Want Finanace Assignment Help Service Online? At My Assignment Help, the experts from the finance assignment help team always work forward to support the students with the best quality assignments. Order now and get an A+ grade accurate solution to finance assignments at an affordable price.

William smith said...

Students getting Nursing Assignment Help from My Assignment Help can rest assured of the quality of information that is included in their assignment.If you have any queries or doubts regarding your assignment or subject, you can connect with our student support executive online via live chat or e-mail.

Leo Oliver said...

I gratefully accept! You've made just one piece of art. I've given a some suggestions for your review. Our writing assignment help assures that you earn the best mark possible in university.
My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...

Your blog has a lot of useful information; thank you for taking the time to share it with us. Amazing knowledge you have on this; it's nice to come across a page that provides so much information on a few topics.
My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...

Very good article. Please continue to post in this manner. I am glad that you are providing things like this.visit now:- My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...

This is a pretty helpful, and knowledgable blog, in my opinion. I'd like to express my gratitude for the time and work you put into writing this site. Visit now:- My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...

Hello, I enjoy reading your article. as follows from seemore-My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...

Wow, this is a fantastic article. Thank you very much for providing this helpful information. This was a lot of information for me. That's just what I needed. . My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...


Without the need for a sure, this is an excellent article. You do a fantastic job. You have inspired me. So keep going. . My Assignment Help

Leo Oliver said...

The post was quite informative, and I learned a lot from it. I think its fantastic blog. The article was very helpful to me. This blog will assist the reader in obtaining information. Thank you for creating such an informative article. My Assignment Help

Online Assignment Help said...

One Of the my friend had suggested me to read this blog and no doubt he was right. This is the best blog.
Xero Assignment Help

Online Assignment Help said...

There are lots of students who are looking for someone and thinking that who can do my assessment. The situation for them is too bad. They are
under pressure to gain the best grades and at the last moment they are not able to cope up with the stress and anxiety. This is the reason that why they search for who can do my assessment. But there is a solution to every problem and the solution is Online TutorHelps. Experts at our website provide assignment help, coursework writing, dissertation writing, assessment help, and many more services to you. Experts at OnlineTutorHelps.com are so skilled that they can help you to achieve A+ grade in your assessment.https://www.onlinetutorhelps.com/do-my-assessment/

Cookeryassignments said...

Very nice blog and articles. I am very happy to visit your blog. Now I've found what I want. I check your blog every day and try to learn something from your blog.

coordinate cooking operations logbook

Cookeryassignments said...

You have shared a very interesting and attractive post. I really like it. Thanks for sharing this useful knowledge.

prepare and monitor budgets assignment

Academic Write Assist said...

Outstanding resource for electrical engineering assignment help. MyAssignmentServices.co.uk offers expert guidance and support to help students excel in their electrical engineering studies. Highly recommend checking them out for top-notch assistance. Their dedication to excellence and commitment to delivering timely results make them a trusted choice for academic success. Explore their services today and take your electrical engineering assignments to the next level.