2013-11-23

Meetup with Jordan: Running Man Korean restaurant + 味香園 + I am cafe

PG accidentally discovered this Running Man Korean restaurant @ Chinatown at Instagram on Thursday. After he SIC me, I got hooked on immediately. Jokingly enough, I said let's go to this place on Friday and he wqbx. LOL~ And to justify the sudden outing yesterday, we invited Jordan and JX as well. Of course Jordan is the main character for this gathering since I haven't see him for about 10 months liao. Hee~ Talking about this I forgot I need to blog about the previous outing with him and Nicholas when they both were back in SG in early 2013, but I leave it to future then post, course I have no content to write lol. OMG, backlog still can't clear finish... T.T

Since now not working, no work means no income, no income means go out have to try not to spend so much. Even for my transportation cost, I also trying ways and means to see how I could spend the minimum amount yet I could reach my destination. Last week I took the bus option to/fro vivocity and could save 46 cents. This time round I took the train instead of bus to Chinatown. Supposed to meet at Chinatown MRT, but I got off at Outram and decided to walk to Chinatown. Bus cost $1.63, train (EWL -> NEL) cost $1.60, train (to Outram) only cost $1.51!

Reached Chinatown before 6 pm. Saw Jordan and PG there chatting away. Jordan stated that he's back in SG not for holiday but for internship and he is starting work next week. Schedule is pretty tight and after 1 month working at an animal clinic he has to fly back to Australia, meaning he will miss 2014 CNY le. JX again was late (he said he didn't expect a traffic jam at Serangoon there!). Aigoo, he's the most free now, yet still late =.=

位於牛車水小坡的韓國餐廳
招牌真的用Running Man的標誌
不會被SBS發現嗎?

菜單做得蠻精緻的

First to get served was 김치찌개 ($12+). There were veggies, tofu and fish cakes. It's not too spicy, but somehow I felt the soup could be a little bit thicker to make it nicer.

김치찌개 (泡菜湯)
味道還可以再濃一點

Next it was 해물파전($19+). I liked this dish - warm and crispy! 진짜 아주 맛있어요!

해물파전 (海鮮煎餅)
這個好吃!

The last dish to serve was the main dish lo - 닭갈비 ($35+, rice $3x2)! IMO, I felt the sauce was a bit lacking in amount and the chicken meat could be cut into smaller pieces so that the sauce could marinate the meat more thoroughly during cooking. The taste was ok. The one I had tasted somewhat bland in the centre of the meat. And also the serving was a bit small, I knew it was for 2 persons, but I look at the actual stuff, I thought it was a bit small.

닭갈비 (炒雞肉)
這個應該是大家的最愛了…… ^^

Then we added in rice to the remaining meat to get 볶음밥 or fried rice in Korean. They didn't put seaweeds inside as contrasted to Big Mama, so my vote goes to Big Mama for 닭갈비!

볶음밥 (韓式炒飯)

The service was a bit slow. Could understand only one husband, one wife and one local helper to manage the whole restaurant. Guessed the wife prepare the dishes, husband cook or BBQ and the local girl helps to recommend the dishes and take orders from customers. We waited rather long to pay for the dinner.


耶!

Damage: $19.80

*Oh ya, saw Kok Kiat at the restaurant too! But he didn't see me and we didn't greet each other lol...

Next, Jordan wanted to eat some 'local' desserts. He recommended this 味香園 in Chinatown but was unsure how to get there from the current location. However, after some walking along Temple Street, we managed to find the shop at one shot!!! Haaa~

JX was super undecisive at what to order. =.= In the end, we had the banana chocolate 雪花冰 and green tea 雪花冰. The former tasted quite strong which was nice but the latter was quite bland. BXDS! But nonetheless, thanks JX for the treat!

 綠茶雪花冰
賣相不錯
但味道真的不敢恭維

香蕉巧克力雪花冰
這個味道還OK
右下角那些‘珠子’吃起來好像是魚卵
可愛的說

Damage: supposedly $2.75, but $0 in the end! :)

After the desserts, me and PG wanted to bring them to try out some cakes at a cafe. We decided to walk to Bugis, the last stop of gathering - I am cafe. From there on, JX kept kena bombed by PG. 他的話真毒!一路上有說有笑. Been reading blog posts from 2009 and happened to came across something - I wrote saying Jordan, for some reasons, quitted his holiday job after 1 month after he ORD. I didn't state the reason. I was quite curious after reading it and asked him what was the reason. Actually the reason was that he was somewhat discriminated, biased and overworked while working at a cafe near his home.

Talking about BMT, me and Jordan could reminisce the field camp where I made myself famous in front of the whole company. The part about Jordan and PG being called out by sgt was something I did remembered though. Pretty interesting and amazing memory!

The moment I saw the cafe - I am cafe, it was quite different from what I had expected. I thought it was air-con, enclosed and not too crowded kinda setting. But what I saw was open area, no air-con... Got to Q up for seats. PG totally saggy when saw the seats opposite to the cafe were in dark - not good for taking photos. But it's unique because I think it's halal certified

Then it suddenly rained! The moment of waiting + rain actually did dampen my mood towards the desserts session @ the cafe though.

*Finally that big group which chatted for so long was getting ready to leave. Got hope to get seats liao!

Ordered one fries ($6.90) and one rainbow mille crepe cake ($8.90) to share, while Jordan had busrahmint and JX got himself a mug of orange juice. Fries was normal, somewhat Carl's Jr quality. Then the crepe cake was so-so also. The taste was the same regardless of the colour and IMO doesn't justify the price.

普通的薯條
讓以為是truffle fries的我
頓時覺得失望!

Rainbow mille crepe cake
這個其實沒有我想像中好吃

Spent our time trying to understand Jordan's schedule. He will start his internship at an animal clinic in Yishun on Monday which will last for 1 month. Working hours is 10am to 8pm. After which, he will go back to Australia to complete his final year. So he would graduate December next year!

We walked to Bugis before Jordan parted his way - he's going to Boat Quay, JX parted his way - he took eastbound train to Paya Lebar before changing to circle line to Serangoon. Anyway, it's a rare sight that both of us got a seat on a night train back to the west!

Damage: $4.25

No comments: