2013-12-08

New bus service 49

According to the news reported on 4 Dec, coming 14 Dec there would be a new bus service ply along my area and Taman Jurong, called service number 49.


Honestly, I can't see how residents can benefit from this new service maybe except for Taman Jurong residents. Here's why...

Firstly, the bus started off from Taman Jurong bus terminal. Then it plies around Taman Jurong which is like a 154-246-98 hybrid route. Then it passes by Lakeside station then moves to st 51, 42 and then 41 which is a 334-335 hybrid route.

People living at st 42 already got 334 to serve liao. And if I want to get to Lakeside, I could take 98 or 187. People living at st 41 even better, some could walk to Lakeside lor, in addition to existing 335 serving that area. So if I want to take bus 49 to get to Lakeside, I need to make a detour through st 41 leh, waste time lo.

If I want to go home, bus 49 doesn't seem attractive neither. Coz I have to cross over to the other side to catch the bus, when I can save some money by walking home or take 334 from JE.

The only benefit I can see is for Taman Jurong residents, when going home, not only 98 but got 49 to bring them to Taman Jurong WITHOUT crossing the road to the other side.

On top of that, the frequency is 10-15 mins. With this time plus the additional travelling time, walking or take 98/187 seems to be a better choice. Put the extra buses to these services ba...

In fact, if 49 is routed from Taman Jurong then Jurong West then go straight to Orchard/Dhoby Gahut/City Hall would be a much better choice. Why? Coz, Bukit Panjang has 190, east side has 36 that brings people from these areas to town. Of course there are bus that comes from the west side, but it's either 7 (Clementi), 174 (passes by Boon Lay then Bukit Batok), 106 (Bukit Batok)... 66, 105 are indirect routes though and they come from JE. Therefore so far there is no direct bus from Jurong West to Orchard wor. Of course there is 502, but given that, I rather take MRT, much faster and cheaper lo. So, if 49 plies along Taman Jurong, then take 187 route then move on to AYE (exit at  Clementi) or PIE (enter from Toh Guan) then go to town seems a route that many people would want.

The previous bus service that was introduced to my area was 185 on 22 December 2006. Pretty good route. I felt it was purposely introduced to allow me to take bus directly from camp to home because it goes through Clementi Ave 6! Haha! This bus is fast if want to travel between JW and Clementi.

No comments: