2008-12-01

Wisdom tooth surgery milestone

Just came back from Malaysia. Wait for the report after this!

Actually, it's not a collection of adventurous events la. Back in 2006, I had 5 tooth plucked out for my braces. So, it's nothing new.

But I saw others made a big hoo-ha out of it. So big event meh? Haha...

So I just enter this entry with everything from start to end just for wisdom tooth.

Aug 2007
After had my X-ray taken at some medical centre behind Heeren, the braces dentist said I need to remove the wisdom tooth at the bottom. Yup, 2 of them. So I told him I would see the chances of having it removed during NS.

Then I asked around about the feasibility. It seemed very troublesome. So I put off the idea for a while. =.=

Sept 2007
Mun Wei went for the surgery! Okay, I used his experience as a reference for myself! 5 days of MC was indeed irresistable!

Jul 2008
Bay and Jonathan went for the surgery also! Based on Bay's experience, it's very rush and Bay selected the wrong time. Okay, also included for my reference.

Sept 2008
Yun Zhen became the 1st person from my batch to go for the surgery. Based on his experience, the process and registration was very simple. I'm not concerned on the surgery itself. He had 3 tooth removed, one of it on 19th Sept and another 2 on 23th Oct. He removed it because of pain. Hmm, it made me wanting to go for the surgery. But I no need to rush for it because the tooth was not making war with me.

22 Sept 2008
I called Alexandra Hospital on 22 Sept to enquire more. The friendly customer service officer insisted I show referral letter from army. Just 11B also cannot. Don't know why.

Then I called up Jurong Polyclinic. Need to make appointment just for consulation. But the available dates were in 2009. =.=

So immediately SAFTI MI was the one I think of. I called up and made an appointment on 3 Oct for consultation.


Oct 2008
Told everyone about my plan, Shi Hao and Jansen also interested liao. Haha!

Edwin was the 2nd person to go for the surgery on 13th. He had 4 tooth removed all in one go. Wah, whole body numbed (how to spell 麻醉药 in English?) until he went into deep sleep while the surgery went on.

Initially, Jansen said he wanted to wait for Dental FFI then he raise up this. But I told him by then it would be too late.

3 Oct 2008
Went SAFTI MI on 3 Oct by car. What the hell?! The whole SAFTI was very big. Even I drove I also can get lost inside. T_T Walking isn't it more jialat lor?

But then the whole process was very fast, less than 5 mins. Went back home to called up AH to enquire about the consultation. But the appointment slots were full for that day. The person gave me 2 dates to choose, 4th or 15th. I chose to go down on 4 Oct.

4 Oct 2008
The next day I went down to AH. The process was also very fast. All done within 15 mins. Maybe because I had my X-ray taken 1 year ago, so I cut down the process of having a X-ray taken there. Straight away, I chose the dates for surgery and appointments. $24 for consultation fee. But they waived for me liao.

4 Nov 2008
1st surgery at 2pm. But they only started the surgery around 3.40pm =.= What a wasteful 1 1/2 hours of wait!

The surgery was within my prediction. That's because I had almost-the-same surgeries 2 years back. The whole thing took less than 10 mins.

But the medication they gave was a lot! 5 types of capsules/tablets and 1 bottle of medicated liquid for washing the mouth. No need so much medication ba? It makes my body very full of chemicals like that.

Back home, I changed the gauze every 30 mins until 7.30pm when I had my dinner, though the blood hadn't stop. Aiya, just swallow the blood lor! I didn't heed to the nurse advice on eating porridge. I had normal rice with normal dishes. Haha! But I poured all rice into the soup. Ate together with the soup.

Then went out to picked up the new monitor (Samsung 710N). At that time also didn't wear gauze. =p

Just before I went to sleep, the pain came! OMG! Maybe it's the toothpaste that had agitated the wound. Never mind, took 2 different types of painkillers to sleep.

5 Nov 2008
Had a horrifying fright when I woke up. The whole of my pyjamas was stained with blood. Fortunately, the blanket and bedsheets were free from the bloodstain. =p Everything as per normal from this day onwards. This was the 2nd day of my 4-day MC. Refer to the post dated 5, 6 & 8-11-2008 on what I did during the MC. =p

This was also the day for Jansen. Haha... 2 tooth go @ once.

11 Nov 2008
A very hectic day. ORD dinner! But before that, I had to remove the stitches from the wound. less than 5 mins! Cepatlah! Gave a special syringe for me to flush out the food remains. Refer to the post dated 12-11-2008 for ORD dinner report.

13 Nov 2008
Another surgery @ 2pm! This time round it's the left teeth turn to go. As usual, it was super smooth sailing. But instead of cutting the teeth into halves, the dentist drilled the teeth into 4 separate parts. =.= But somehow I think this time round it was better than the 1st surgery.

Again, it's the same medication they gave. I find a lot of medication not utilised except for antibiotics =.=

16 Nov 2008
Went for Vertical Marathon while on the last day of my 4-day MC. Nothing happened. Very healthy. Haha! Refer to post dated 16-11-2008 for Vertical Marathon report.

20 Nov 2008
Had a hard time getting approval to remove the stitches. Don't know what the hell he thinks. How I know the games was held on 20 Nov? I only knew it 2 days before ok? And changing dates for the appoinments must be 3 working days in advance. He was putting me in a difficult position!

The doctor gave me another special syringe again. What the hell? I don't need 2 syringes! The doctor also praised me for being super observant - I noticed something stuck to my molar teeth after the 1st surgery. I asked whether my teeth began to decay?

21 Nov 2008
Received a billing letter from Jurong Medical Centre. The details are given below:
Consumables: $50
Non STD drugs: $13.50
STD drugs: $5.37
Surgical procedures: $499.52 ($375.48 after govt subsidy)
Total: $568.39 ($444.35 after govt subsidy)

And I need to pay $444.35?!

Had a fright after I read carefully, it said the money was due from some claim system. I also handed the letter to Weilong and Edmund to confirm few more times.

In summary, some statistics...
Sept '07: Mun Wei
Jun '08: Bay and Jonathan
Sept '08: Yun Zhen
Oct '08: Edwin, Yun Zhen, Yong Sheng
Nov '08: Benjamin, Peng Guan, Jansen and Shi Hao

Alexandra Hospital: Mun Wei, Bay, Jonathan, Yun Zhen, Yong Sheng, Peng Guan, Jansen and Shi Hao
Jurong Medical Centre: Benjamin, Edwin

1 time surgery: Mun Wei, Bay, Jonathan, Edwin, Jansen, Shi Hao, Yong Sheng, Peng Guan
2-time surgery: Benjamin and Yun Zhen

1 teeth: -
2 tooth: Mun Wei, Bay, Jonathan, Benjamin, Jansen, Shi Hao, Peng Guan and Yong Sheng
3 tooth: Yun Zhen
4 tooth: Edwin

MC 6 days: Mun Wei, Bay, Jonathan, Jansen, Shi Hao, Peng Guan and Yong Sheng
MC 8 days: Benjamin and Edwin
MC 12 days: Yun Zhen

No comments: