2013-10-08

iOS 7

I should have blogged this way before some of the recent posts because it was released on 19 Sep (SG time) and I updated my iPhone and iPad to iOS 7 almost immediately. Haha...


The iOS 7 is the latest OS from Apple, sporting quite radical cosmetic changes. I must say it's refreshing compared to the very early iOS till iOS3, 4, 5 and 6 - they were literally almost the same in appearance. But under the brand new skin, everything is back to the same old way. The operation is the same so it didn't pose any problem for me.

The OS file for iPhone 4S cost at least 1.2GB of space, that's big leh! Certainly it's bigger for iPhone 5/5C/5S.

The happiest thing that can happen to iOS 7 is the inclusion of lyrics feature on iPad! Yay! Both iOS 5 and 6, for some weird reason, removed the lyrics feature on iPad but retained it on the iPhone/iPod Touch. It makes more sense if it's the other way round so I can't comprehend why Apple wants to do this.

So my iPad receives the latest iOS 7. Despite being an outdated model, it runs quite smoothly on iOS 7 without any issue. The only I have for Apple is to take advantage of the large iPad screen size and optimize iOS. Certain option or drop down menus look rather limited as one could see it's designed for iPhone or iPad in mind.

Another feature which I appreciate is the major overhaul done on Camera Roll. It was such a pain to scroll through some 3500 photos and videos on my iPhone T.T But with iOS 7, the photos can be further categorised according to the time or location taken, makes searching for photos much easier. I wonder if Android has such feature on Camera Roll, it can be handy if one is urgent to dig out a particular photo lor. But there is one thing which I don't like about the new Camera Roll is that Apple changed the background colour from black to white! Hurts to see white background together with the photo. Prefer the black instead.


The rest received some improvements here and there and makes the usage a little bit more convenient. One very trivial change is the Clock app, the icon now displays the actual time! But this doesn't change the fact that the device needs iTunes in order to sync or to transfer photos/music to it.

Whatsapp, on the other hand, hasn't officially supports iOS 7, so I could see menu being cut away as I presume it's designed for 640 x 1136 resolution.

No comments: