2012-01-04

First day of IA

Finally no need to vex over theories, tutorials and exams for one semester.

To be honest, IA officially starts on 9 Jan. But I've already started on my IA as requested by my supervisor.

After full one day at ExxonMobil, I did not feel too much of a difference between a student's life and a working adult life. Much can be credited to my prior experience at Keppel, so agar-agar I already knew what an office working evironment can be.

Reached the office before 9am, just as instructed, I approached the receiptionist and told her that I need to report to my supervisor aka boss.

Boss was quite nice, brought me to my seat and introduce me the most powerful woman on that floor, haha. Gave me a brief introduction to the company, our department and my jobscope as well. Lunch at Seah Im Hawker Centre (seriously the last time I've been there was during 2008-2009 new year countdown bah...), didn't know what's good food there, but cincai bought lunch anyway.

Think either I have information overload or I really old liao, I didn't know I introduced myself to my mentor twice. LOL~ Nothing much to comment on her yet as it's only first day mah. Good to know from boss that everybody seems to be on 'auto' mode. Don't worry, I'm also very auto one.

Hmm, it appeared to me that everybody is from different walks of life in terms of qualification. While my department deals with computing, but I have people doing telecommunication, computer science (his job doesn't require him to write whole new program out) and my boss from economics. Is that the case why I'm selected? I don't know what exactly reason that I was selected.

Got to know my buddy also, he was from NTU before and graduated in 2009 with a computer science degree. It was him and among others that I'm the first intern for the department. Seriously, nobody has done internship in that department before? Somemore, others were surprised that I studied EEE and not some computer or computing related degree. Yay, EEE is too versatile liao, can do almost everything. But since I'm selected for the IA, I will just make full use of my stay at ExxonMobil bah, try to learn something and gain valuable experience out of it. :)

I didn't know ExxonMobil has an office at Harbourfront. In fact, it was quite big! But hope I can visit the plants in Jurong Island and Pioneer Road. Afterall, had some memories, both good and bad, at these places during my K9 days. Kinda miss it. Everything seems spacious, even between me and colleagues. There is even a table with chairs in between. The pantry is nice, but KIE is even bigger LOL. Anyway, I visit pantry only for refilling water.

Towards the end of the day, signed out a laptop for work use. But wasn't able to get my lift pass and smartcard. Even the laptop peripherals are new, makes me wonder if the office is also new. The people there are generally friendly, hope this is a good start.

Other than that, all seem to fall within expectation. What surprises me is the working hours, while flexibility is a good thing, but I hope to sync my start work and knock off hours with my colleagues. Don't want everybody's not around when I already reached office bah? And I didn't plan to take leave and MC, in fact I try to accomodate others for this IA. Trying to priortise IA as top priority.

Think that's all for now. Will update once I'm adapted to the environment at ExxonMobil!

No comments: