2008-07-26

My computer - HP Pavilion 9734 Desktop



I know this has delayed for so long, for almost a month. LOL
This is my computer, bought in Nov 2000 for $2488. Very old and very trustworthy.

Here's the official specifications:

Chipset: Via Apollo Pro 133A
Processor: 933 MHz Intel Pentium (R) III processor with MMX (TM) technology
RAM: 128MB 133MHz SDRAM
Hard drive: 40 GB @ 7200rpm (I forgot is Maxtor or IBM liao)
CD-RW: LG 8x4x32x drive
Diskette drive: Mitsumi 3.5" 1.44MB diskette drive
Video: Nvidia TNT2 Pro AGP 4x 32MB card
Network card: 10/100Base-T
Modem: 56Kbps
Operating system: Microsoft Windows ME
Monitor: HP 17" CRT monitor
Speakers: HP/Polk Audio E stereo speakers

Peripheral changes
After the original CRT monitor and the original keyboard spoiled. I went on to use the longitech keyboard (forgot bought how much le) and a Samsung 17" CRT monitor (bought for $40).

Then, I moved on to use a used Compaq keyboard (I found it at the void deck, people throw it away). I feel that this keyboard is better than the longitech one, but still I find the HP original keyboard the best. The feeling was just nice.

Next, the Samsung CRT monitor and the speakers were brought back to Malaysia. I then bought a LG 19" widescreen monitor ($319, L194WT), a set of Altec Lansing 2.1 system speakers ($78, VS2421) and a cheap mouse ($10, the original mouse also spoiled). The original HP speakers sounded bad and they don't have hardware volume control. =.= But they didn't spoil.

Hardware changes
Inside the CPU, there were some changes as well. I don't know if the original harddisk had broken down. But I feel that it's still the same original harddisk lor. Then I upgraded the graphics card to Nvidia TNT2 Pro AGP 4x 64MB one, a 32MB more. Haha! Then I also added a sound card in - a used Philips PSC703 sound card ($15). RAM wise, I add in 256MB more, to make up a total of 384MB memory.

Normal usage
Startup takes at least 7-10 mins. The computer is very quiet, unlike other self-built computers in my house.

It's ok if you just run 2-3 programs at any one time. For me, I'd just open WMP, Firefox and MSN. However, it lags if you decide to run more than 3 programs. Desktop is kept as clean as possible, i.e. very few icons. Note that this computer runs on XP, so it consumes more memory than Win ME.

Playing games is a no-no, online games will lag also. That's why I can't keep up with my fellow friends. They are playing Maple, WoW, DOTA, Diablo 2 (this one not sure)... Even Viwawa also lags. So Bay, if you're reading this para right now, please don't flame me hor.

That's why I buy PSP to make up this aspect.

If install program, it can take at least 10-15 mins. Super slow. =.=

Future
Don't plan to zhng anymore to my computer from now onwards, just wait for it to die off. Then I'll just buy a completely new CPU... The keyboard, monitor, speakers and mouse can keep.

Don't know whether to buy a laptop or not because I'll be studying university in year 2009. Like monkey see, monkey do... I see how my friends they all lor. And also I wait for news from the school if they want to make laptop a compulsory learning item. Then I'll decide whether to buy or not.

Conclusion
Other than the CPU, all its working partners couldn't take up the stress and broke down one after another. My computer products not 100% from China. The CPU was made in Singapore, QC assured. The monitor was made in Thailand, keyboard/mouse was made in China. They spoiled.

Even the CD-RW drive didn't spoil and it's made in Korea. It's a rare for CD drive as I can see all CD drives are made in China, Indonesia or Philippines.

My 2 other Samsung CD drives, 1 made in Phlippines and Indonesia. One of them rosak. Then the other Sony CD-RW drive was made in China. The pioneer DVD-RW drive also made in China. So far, only Samsung gave problems. Sony has a slight problem of being too sensitive, can't read some CDs. No problem with my LG drive though.

The keyboard was made in Malaysia. Oh my, I now realised that those supposed to be China made were not China made. Hope they don't disappoint me...

No comments: