2008-11-05

New LCD added

Yesterday night came in a new member: Samsung 710N 17" LCD monitor.
Ya, I know it's an old model. It's supposed to be an model.
No plan to buy a new one.
$100 for this monitor.

Anyway, the monitor wasn't for me. It's for the Computer 2 in home (a.k.a brother's computer).
I already had my LG L194WTS monitor liao, so this monitor is a downgrade for me haha!

About the monitor
The monitor is a 4:3 (non-widescreen) type. It is 3 years old, with the label stating the monitor was made on February 2005 at Seremban factory in Malaysia. Haha, same hometown leh!

Install it
At 1st, we were disappointed because the CPU doesn't support the latest video output interface (DVI), only can use analog cable to connect to monitor. In the end, we had to go back to exchange for an analog cable with the seller.

1st impression
The monitor was super heavy! Almost like a CRT monitor. Don't know about it's weight though. Build quality was excellent. The monitor looks brighter than mine monitor, but then I don't want the monitor to be too bright for me.

Now left with the last computer still using CRT monitor. When it will change to LCD one? I don't know. But anyway, with this Samsung monitor, the electricity bill will be slightly cheaper lor.

Let's calculate!
The calculation is based on the following assumptions:
1. The monitor works for 10 hours every day.
2. The current electricity tariff is $0.3045/kWh

For my case, I used a Samsung 753DFX CRT monitor before LG L194WTS. So the power consumption reduced from 80W to 34W.
For my brother's case, he used Philips 107Ss CRT monitor before Samsung 710N. So the power consumption reduced from 73W to <34W, but I put 34W for a safe calculation.


Click on the image for 100% view.


Savings for changing from a 80W to a 34W monitor in a month: $4.202
Savings for changing from a 73W to a 34W monitor in a month: $3.563
Total savings in a month: $7.765

It's quite a significant amount of savings. It would be more significant if Computer 3 also uses LCD monitor. But then who's going to pay for the LCD monitor in 1st place? I'm not going to fork out the $.

For the Computer 5, it's a laptop, so the power consumption wouldn't be as high as a desktop. LOL~

No comments: